We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
In a recent article for American Thinker, “Why I Quit Teaching,” I listed three reasons that prompted me to abandon the teaching profession: unscrupulous administrators, degenerate teachers, and incompetent students. Of these, the latter was the most determinant...
Retired now, but when I was teaching, the university administrators were the worst part of the job. My job was to help educate the students, and most of them appreciated the effort. Sneeky, ambitious, P C deans are uneducable.
You are spot on re the Deans. They are the biggest impediment to higher education, period. I too retired and before I left I had this thought--if I was King of the University my first act would be to get rid of the Deans.
Several years ago, after teaching medical students for 15 years, I met the Dean of Diversity at the medical school where I had been faculty for 40 years. About a third of my students had been black and many of those foreign born. I had Indian students, Chinese American students and a rare Caucasian.
I wasn't sure what she was doing but I m sure she made a nice living.
The majority of children/students, perhaps 60% or so learn an adequate amount from school such that their life is more or less successful. They do this with or without good teachers or good schools. They were preordained to be mediocre to average. About 25% or so of the children/students fail to learn enough to be moderately successful in life. Some will still manage to live a normal or near normal life. In most cases a good teacher or a bad teacher wouldn't make any/much difference and neither would a good school vs a bad school. They were preordained to fail or at least be sub-average.
The 15% or so that is left do in fact benefit from having good teachers and good schools. They will do well in life even if they do not get a "good" education but they can do so much more if they have good teachers and a quality education. That 15% are the students that teachers and schools can positively impact. The students that will go on to excel and maybe change the world. Do not let the other 85% of students dishearten you. With few exceptions you cannot change their most probable outcome.
At 54 I'm making a career change from DoD to education (EdD), but focusing on Christian education and leadership.
The student body tends to be from largely intact families with responsible parents and homeschool experience. The faculty and administrative folks I've met at Christian universities (ex: Liberty, Lee U) tend to value traditional education over liberal social engineering (go figure) and aren't banking on huge endowments or crooked athletic programs to pay the bills.
Is it a safe bet to hope Christian Ed will continue to function while other Ed systems fail? I sure hope so...