We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
For what its worth, in addition to written goals, I think every man needs to write his own definition of what it means to be a man. Here's my list:
1. He has a well-developed sense of self. He is confident, but not arrogant. This is seen in his eyes, heard in his voice, seen in the way he carries himself. This is the most important quality of a Real Man. It is the foundation of the other qualities.
2. He possesses the willingness and ability to extend himself for the purpose of nurturing his own, as well as others’, spiritual, emotional and physical growth.
3. He is willing and able to defend the ones he loves, even unto death.
4. He believes in something bigger than himself - for me that is Jesus Christ.
5. He will admit when he is wrong. He is willing to admit to his mistakes, and to make amends.
6. He has the ability to act decisively, to make decisions under pressure and to prioritize things in his life. He is focused.
7. He has a positive and passionate attitude about life.
8. He treats others, no matter what their ‘rank’, with respect. He does not ‘suck up’ to people. He is not a doormat.
9. His word is his bond.
10. He can express his emotions without violence. Although he may shed a tear, he is not a crybaby. He is not a jealous man.
11. He leaves a legacy. He is a role model.
12. He makes his own fortune. He decides his own destiny.