We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Quibble: "... [G]overnment has been trying to change that ever since." Not exactly. People who are precisely the would-be tyrants and dictators have been changing it ever since. People. Identifiable, known, named people in each generation have slowly and surely expanded their power over all the other people using lies and other cheats. We know who these folks are, we know where they live, we know where they went to school, we know all about them and we smile and say nice things about them because we're afraid they will have us arrested by the other nice people who support their efforts and we'll be punished.
typical Leftist inversion of logic. Get this clear: it's not that we (conservatives) believe the Constitution and therefor it exists; it's that the Constitution exists and therefor we believe it is so.
As Milton Freidman said, No one believes in pure democracy. No one believes that if 51% of the people vote to kill the other 49%, it should be done.
This fetish in the US government about spreading democracy, both parties, is terrible policy, yet it is the only idea that comes out of our most famous indoctrination centers. We need to spread our Constitution, but the "smart" ones prefer parliamentary forms.
When Lenin used the Russian revolution to take power and loot the riches of Russia he did it all for 1% of the riches or America. When Hugo Chavez took power in Venezuela and looted the treasury he did this for 1% of the riches of America. To the Marxist left America is the big prize. America is worth more then all of the socialist/communist dictatorships in the world today. There is no lie too big, no fight too small to undertake to sieze power in America. But that dang constitution, especially that pesky 2nd amendment, stands in the way. Somehow, someway the constitution must be negated. Stacking the SCOTUS with lefties is a good start but it is taking decades and decades to really succeed. It is time now for an open attack on the constitution. It is after all irrelevant and something created by dead, racist, homophobic white men. It must be destroyed for the left to really win. Something radical is needed, something so underhanded and dirty that the distracted citizens will never see it coming. Something like flooding the country with illegal aliens, giving them "free stuff" then give them the vote and tell them the "free stuff" will end if they don't vote Democrat...
The Barrister: As anybody graduating from Middle School knows, the US is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy. It was cleverly designed to limit government power and to prevent mob rule by majorities.
The U.S. is structured as a democratic republic with universal suffrage, but works as an plutocracy.
It's not that there aren't better governmental systems that could be devised, but that it is difficult to get from here to there without turmoil and without undermining constitutionalism itself.