We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
I assume you mean either post hoc ergo propter hoc or the fact that correlation and causation are very different things.
Then again, this may be less silly than it looks. BMI as I understand it is increasing more among less affluent Americans than among wealthier Americans. The availability of tasty low-cost fast food could be an element in how some low-income families choose to eat.
.. We find that a $1 decrease in the real minimum wage was associated with a 0.06 increase in BMI.... Real minimum wage decreases can explain 10% of the change in BMI since 1970. We conclude that the declining real minimum wage rates has contributed to the increasing rate of overweight and obesity in the United States.
An additional problem with this hypothesis is that the proportion of workers earning the mimimum wage or less has trended downward. The first year that the Bureau of Labor Statistics tracked the proportion of workers earning the minumum wage or less was 1979. For 1979 we find that those earning the mimimum wage or less constituted 13.4 % of wage workers, or 6.8% of the total number of wage and salary workers. For 2006 we find that those earning the mimimum wage or less constituted 2.2% of wage workers, or 1.3% of the total number of wage and salary workers.
As we are dealing with 1.3% of the population, it would be absurd to claim that an increase in BMI for that subset of the population would correlate with an increase in the BMI for the remaining 98.7% of the population. We have a sampling error. What would be the statistical term to throw around?
So, perhaps the hypothesis can be changed to state that as the proportion of population earning the mimumum wage has decreased, the proportion of obesity has increased. More money in pocket, more to MickeyD. New hypo to test?
I donít know the fancy Latin term for politically correct pretentious ignorant idiots full of it. Please fill me in. Would this be an example of the ad hominem ad valorem ad infinitum ad hoc ad croc of shit fallacy?