We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Our Recent Essays Behind the Front Page
Sunday, November 15. 2009
I moved this poll back up to the top tonight to see if we can squeeze out any more reader responses -
Besides work, what are the five most frequent places you go to in a normal week?
Bank, post office, minimart, a walk outdoors, hardware store, pub, gym, deli, fish market, supermarket, visit friends, visit boyfriend or girlfriend, hairdresser, church, dock, stable, theater, liquor store, places to eat or to get food, massage parlor - where do you all go most often?
My own list is dull as dishwater reflecting my ordinary life: Post office, minimart or Dunkin Donuts, supermarket, bank, places to eat. That's about it, and then there are plenty of places I go to around once a week.
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)
Work at home-
2- Boy's School
3- Post office
5- Hardware Store
(Bonus) Gas Station
1. Health club for swimming
2. H.E.B. grocery store
3. Shell gas station (two trucks, three cars)
4. Costco/Lowes/Home Depot
5. Welfare Cafe, Welfare, TX
A Jeff Walker trained Product Launch Manager
Work at home - getting away from computer for mundane tasks is a big part of my day. Does it get anymore boring?
1. Health club for yoga class
2. Grocery store
5. Big box stores
3. Post office
5. Tobacco shop
Gas station & Trader Joe's visits are more random.
2. Ice Rink - (Hockey coach, ref)
5. Places to eat
1. Walk outdoors daily (weather permitting)
2. Diner after for breakfast
4. The Wal-Marts about once a week
5. Tobacco shop
4.Property out back
1. Health club
2. Pool hall
3. Places to eat
4. Grocery store
5. Hardware/liquor store...depending on the news, weather, & sports reports
1. Corner store
2. Grocery store
3. Bowling alley
4. Masonic Lodge
5. Gas station
OK, I'll play.
3. Post Office
4. Hardware store(s)
Yes, that's about as thrilling as it gets.
Oooh, this is fun!
1. Food Market
3. Shooting range
5. Outdoor activities: walking, fishing, yardwork, anything that gets me outside!
I don't gas the cars. Dh takes care of that because the smell of gasoline makes me sick.
Ok, I'll play too.
1 - Dunkin' Donuts - multigrain bagel toasted with veggie cream cheese.
2 - Xtra Mart - 1 liter Diet Pepsi to start the day.
3 - Physical therapy (x3)
4 - JT's Fly Shop http://www.jtsflyshop.com/
5 - Any lake, pond, stream or river where I can wet a line even if I don't catch anything.
Place to eat dinner or lunch/pre-school (tie)
Places I ought to go to more after contemplating this request -
Long walks anywhere
Outside to play with the darling daughter before she grows to old to play with momma
Dates with DH
gas station--only name brands
the local high school track
Casino--free coffee, Wampum Days, free credits (Tues_
Wal-Mart Super Store
Casino--$250/ Friday T-Shirt Drawing
I work for myself. Maggie's Farm everyday. Bank, supermarket, hardware store or lumber yard for customers, liquor store.
BD; I don't for a second believe that you have a dull ordinary life. You go on wonderful vacations and take beautiful pictures where ever you go. Doesn't sound like dishwater to me, you moderately prosperous mamma's boy. Oh, by the way, as chairman of the board of this wacky farm, and I will remind you that you nominated me, I am expecting a turkey this year. I've heard through the grapevine that NJ, Bruce, Dr. Joy, Dr. M, Opie and Gwinny have received bonus checks. I want one too. I will comment on Meta, Dr. M flap if allowed this coming week.
Longs Drugs (for booze)
Back to the beach for sunset
The Dynamite Shack
Mel's meth lab
County's salt and cinder pile
The old orchard behind the cemetary
1. I love to spend the day in my 40X100 shop in my backyard working on my hot rods
2. I go to auto parts stores
3. I go to Walmart for gas, clothes, shoes, groceries and most things
4. Sometimes I go to Home Depot
5. I cant think of anywhere else I go
Sad to say-the beer store
during sailing season, the boat yard
7-eleven once a week for tobacco
Friday eve local Restaurant
gas station to keep me going to the other places
various food stores- depending on who's go the best what
Forgot the best one-
Right out back to our lake to hike, kayak, dodge hunters, skate or ski depending on the season.
The churches seem to sit dark and empty, save for Heather and LP.
I amend mine adding church once or twice a month.
1. grocery store, or other shopping needs
2. someplace for lunch
3. credit union, gas station (same trip)
4. blogs (sadly, I consider that going places)
5. Local hiking trails (weekend) and museums
Gads! I'm pitiful!
1. Publix (grocery store/prescriptions)
2. my mother's house
5. dry cleaners
W-w-well gee Wally, that's sure a lot of stuff to do in one week! When Dad finds out, he's sure gonna holler!
Work at home, no car:
1. Back garden (feed birds, two squirrels and, when he's tired of neighbor's fare, the bunny)
2. Corner grocery (they also cash my checks, make fresh dog food per vet's 'scrip' and have a postal drop)
4. Corner laundry/dry cleaner (usually not for services but to pick up their mail on my way to the box for late drop-off and to catch up with other neighbors who hang out there)
5. Front garden
Trips to Home Depot, Office Max, etc. are limited to once every six weeks/two months as I hate shopping except for old-fashioned hardware stores and the latter are too addictive...can blow the whole day.
1. local grocery store (geissler's)
2. my backyard (putzin' around and shootin' hoops)
4. donut shop
5. town green (to read the paper & have my coffee)
1. Foothills behind my house
3. D&B supplies (sort of a rancher/farmer store)
5. Walks along the Boise river greenbelt
1. Church for Mass.
2. Woods with dog.
3. Pub with dog.
4. Starbucks (yes, yes, I do).
5. ByWard Market for my croissants, pains au chocolat and the latest copy of The Spectator (arrives in Ottawa three days after it comes out in London).
Places I go beside work (I'm retired)
1. Daily 2 mile brisk walk
2. Grocery store
3. Separate walk for dogs.
4. Police department: I volunteer there
5. Church most Sundays
hmmmm... well there really never is a normal week for abbie normal folk so I will just say what the avg places I go to are gas station for gas and cigs, market, school, dog walks and movies then there is the other places i should go to more often like church , theater and museums and visits to friends I wish i saw more of and last but not least the golf course.
2.The garden store
3.The range-on a good week
5.The Great Satan-our local HEB grocery store
Parents' assisted living place (they just moved in)
Supermarket (Safeway, QFC)
Restaurants at lunchtime.
Would rather have Debbie's list at #11!
I also visit Maggie's Farm every day.
2. coffee shop
3. my boat shop
4. friend's shop
5. local hardware store
Obviously need to get out and walk on a regular basis, looking at that list above!
Heh - anybody who has his own boat shop shouldn't, by rights, be going anywhere else. :>)
Whole Foods and/or a local natural foods market
I work at home and in the field, so other places I visit are:
Grocery - Big Y
Subway - eats
Joints - to play or hear music
1. Son's preschool
2. Grocery store
4. Neighborhood park/playground
5. (once a week) Mexican food & hamburgers, Toastmasters, PO, gas, Blockbuster
Walks in the woods
Over the course of a week there are no places outside of work that I frequent. Drive 30 miles to the Wal-Mart once every 3-4 weeks for groceries. I doubt if I make it to town more than twice a month.
No more w*rk since 2001...
1. gym 3 mornings/wk
2. Not-for-profit office
3. Grocery store
4. Patio to watch the lake
5. Computer table much too much
1. School Office (I am a teacher but spend more time in the office)
2. Fiance's House
4. In front of my computer
5. The bathroom
1. Kids school
2. Gun Range
3. Computer desk
4. Friend's house
small downtown square
bank, if we're fortunate :)
...and Maggie's Farm
1) Mess Hall
2) Since the Toilets/Showers are in a different trailer, does that count?
4) Small PX (about once a week)
5) Big PX, about once every week or four.
If #2 doesn't count, then there's a coffee shop here that I've visited like 3 times in the last 2 months...
(I'm @Camp Cup Cake (aka "Victory") in Iraq)
Mine are very seasonal so I'll list them generally by spring/summer and fall/winter.
1. gas station
2. ball parks and soccor fields for kids games and practice
3. archery range
4. grocery store
5. visits to freinds and family
1. gas station
3. middle school for kids activities
4. local parks
5. health club
2. Dunkin' Donuts
3. Italian Deli
Yes, at least church on Wed in addition to Sunday, sometimes more. But even for our well-attended church on Sunday, it sits pretty empty on most days save for the offices, pre-school, and Wed evening. Perhaps though, skipping other services is not so bad when its for prayer, friends, family, service and enjoying any number of God's blessings in our lives with a thankful heart, eh? Thats my take and i respect many for it. Even so, i love a good worship service and bible study.
My son is headed to Iraq next summer, so i have read, no official orders yet. He is headed to Ft. Hood soon (3d -Armored Cav), and is on leave "post AIT" this week and next.
Thank you for your service!
I can't believe nobody got this:
#1- Home. Every day I go home.
#2- The bathroom. Several times.
#3- The coffee pot, see #2.
#4- Down the road. I have to go there to get anywhere.
#5- To Maggies Farm
2. yarn store
4. walk downtown [small town]
1. art studio 50 hours a week
3. lunch with 80 year old former art professor every Friday
4. trail walking daily
5. Critique group every Monday
2. Grocery store
4. Mailbox/Post office
5. Neighbors' house for dinner
Son-in-law just returned to Germany from Iraq. Best to you and yours. Really appreciate your service.