We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Five Things that really tick me off about the Repubs now
1. Immigration policy, which seems to be to ignore the issue, no doubt to pander to Hispanic voters.
2. Conservation. The Repubs should recapture the legacy of Teddy Roosevelt. I think they are missing a big pile of swing voters on this issue, especially in the Northeast and Northwest. But it's important anyway, regardless of vote calculations. Even if you write them off in national elections, they still have State parties that matter.
3. Balanced budget: There should have been a temporary war tax. Freedom isn't free.
4. Poor articulation of conservative principles - they have bully pulpits galore, which they could be using to convert the entire nation to reason, as FDR did with the Welfare State. There are lots of good folks, and younger folks, with their biases stuck in the mud of 1930s rhetoric, who might be curious about the Reagan vision of America - and the serious thinking behind it.
5. General political fearfulness; timidity in the face of liberal spin despite the wishes of the voters