We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Maggie's Farm is one of my favorite blogs because they are the only blog that would post an article on rubber boots.
A loyal reader. (Appreciate that comment, because 99% of political blather is ephemera. On the other hand, that remaining 1% can really get you. We try to catch that 1%, plus some of the other stuff in life that really matters - like boots, and God, and fishing, etc.)
"Appreciate that comment, because 99% of political blather is ephemera. On the other hand, that remaining 1% can really get you. We try to catch that 1%, plus some of the other stuff in life that really matters - like boots, and God, and fishing, etc"
You know, watching last night 's 10:00 news with my wife, we seriously talked about why we ever turn it on any more -- you learn nothing and are subjected to all sorts of ridiculous tripe. Your comment above captures much of what we were getting at. Ever thought about making a Maggie's Farm evening edition? Of course, Wellies would be mandatory news reader attire (well, those and a bit more).
Love the site, by the way (#2 on my daily read list). A few more boots, God and fishing stories and you'll overtake Samizdata.
Wolverines--lace ups for long walking, straight tops for ez & fast, or pants tuck-ins. Before wearing the first time, don't spare the neatsfoot oil. Put it on with a paintbrush, until the leather won't hold anymore. Then bake in oven at 'warm' for an hour, then repeat. Good for a year or two, not a drop of water will enter.
Never liked the steel toe--had to wear 'em roughnecking in Montana back in young days, and they froze my toes. Of course, i have tropical toes, way out of place up a hundred-foot derrick in those inbelievable blue northers up thataways.