We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Thank you Bird Dog, I needed that. This Psalm could well be the anthem of my life...it's good to be reminded now and then of where I am and what's happening in my life. My best wishes to you and yours.
This Psalm is added to daily prayers starting a month before the Jewish New Year, through the Feast of Tabernacles (Sukkot) - holidays that trace an arc of return, salvation and renewal hinted at in the verses of this psalm - especially verse 5.
1. This is a "song of David".
2. The translator has transposed the phrases, in the original it's:
When evildoers draw close to me to eat my flesh, my enemies and adversaries - they shall fail and fall.
8. To you my heart says, "seek my face" - your face, o Lord I seek.
10. ... the ?Lord will gather me in.
11. Lead me in the straight/balanced path.
More typically this word means "plain" as in flat land or valley. But the meaning here is morally "straight" or even.
12. The word "over" seems like an odd archaism. The more direct Hebrew is just "don't give me to the soul/intent of my enemies"
The word used for "breathing" cruelty is related to panting and breaking wind - and the blacksmith's bellows. The word translated as "cruelty" usually means forceful theft, deceit, or exploitation.
13. Don't know where this translation comes from.
If only I had believed/been faithful, to see...
14. Oy. There is no "I say" in the original - and what tin ear inserted it, ruining the strong rhythm of the closing verse:
Hope for G-d - strengthen, embolden your heart - and hope for G-d!