We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
What do you expect from the "give us more free shit" crowd?
It IS cultural but it is also generational. As the "free shit" crowd continues to expand and the hard working generation continues to retire or lose good jobs time is running out. The "free shit" is gonna end one day; not with a whimper but with a bang. We cannot continue to have half the working age adults on unemployment or welfare, continue to offer more free shit; free medical, free food, free housing, free cell phones, etc., continue to have open borders and borrow money to pay for it all. Economics, history and common sense tells us this will end and it will end badly.
What "Hippie". I saw no "Hippie" in the quote. In fact the statement was very compassionate and uplifting, something that should be repeated at every graduation ceremony.
The odds are if you are speaking Spanish at a public meeting in Texas you are a recent immigrant AND the odds are (thanks to Obama) an illegal immigrant. It is distasteful to citizens that illegal immigrants are hijacking tax dollars and pushing the citizens into poverty. It should be a felony to be in the country illegally and anyone caught here illegally should be deported and never allowed to legally enter the country again. The drain on critical resources is hurting citizens and our government should not allow this to continue and to get worse daily.
So? That has nothing to do with the comment about "Get a job, hippie".
That is rather disingenuous on the Z-Team's part when the American Thinker link had no reference at all to "hippie", let alone "Get a job, hippie" in neither the article nor in its 171 comments. Nor did the KXAN link at the American Thinker article have any mention of "hippie" or "Get a job, hippie" in its article or in its 403 comments.On the MF posting, there was no mention "Get a job, hippie" until the Z-Team posted comments.
Putting words in people's mouth that they didn't say. That's par for the course for the Z-Team.
1. Se deben aprender inglés con rapidez. Durante el día en la escuela. ¡No compromisos! ¡No dispensos! Español es la idioma del hogar, y inglés es la idioma de éxito en estos EE UU de A.
2. Entonces, en los EEUU, español se hablan solo en clases de español como un idioma foráneo. Todos los otros clases se hablan solo inglés.
3. No hay un conexion entre éxito y moderno «after-school programs». Lo es un amenaza: nos da su dinero, o nuestros chicos se harán pandilleros y los roban y embarazada sus hijas. Todos los amenazas debería contestar: Bring it!
4. Hay actuales «after-school programs» ahora, muy tradicional y garantizada para enseñar los principios de trabajar en equipos, e esperamente los principios de ciudadanía. Se llama: deportes, drama, shop, debate, service clubs, etc. Todos los escuelas los tienen. (Wtf? I thought Austin was a progressive nirvana. Are they actually such a bunch of cheap skinflints that they don’t have these already?) Bienvenidos a los EEUU, chicos. Estos es los que hacemos, y los que secretos de nuestros exitosos.
5. C’mon Z-team, lo leéis y repuestáis sin uso de google. Si un anglo muy gringo puede hacerlo, vos también.
Austin was a nice, tolerant town when I moved there in the middle '60s. Since I left, though, it's tolerance and welcoming attitude has allowed any number of knuckleheads take over the city and Travis county governments. Tolerance allowed the knuckleheads to come and join the discussion. Then the knuckleheads took over (kinda how the reds took over the labor unions in the '30s). Now the knuckleheads are in charge and there isn't any tolerance of non-party-line thoughts or deeds.