We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
And this snippet from Andrew Sullivan, via Jacobson:
The Britain I grew up in was insane. The government owned almost all major manufacturing, from coal to steel to automobiles. Owned. It employed almost every doctor and owned almost every hospital. Almost every university and elementary and high school was government-run. And in the 1970s, you could not help but realize as a young Brit, that you were living in a decaying museum – some horrifying mixture of Eastern European grimness surrounded by the sculptured bric-a-brac of statues and buildings and edifices that spoke of an empire on which the sun had once never set. Now, in contrast, we lived on the dark side of the moon and it was made up of damp, slowly degrading concrete….
Perhaps in future years, her legacy might be better seen as a last, sane defense of the nation-state as the least worst political unit in human civilization. Her deep suspicion of the European project was rooted in memories of the Blitz, but it was also prescient and wise...
2) The operater, Occidental Petroleum, was, with BP, at the time (and still, tho perhapos fewer in numnber currently) engaged in many joint venture partnerships spanning the globe.
3) The fire, like the Macondo, like Three Mile Island, like Chernoybl, was due to a valve left open or closed, with a malfunctioning warning sensor and/or automatic over-ride.
4) Armand Hammer, founder of Occidental, was a famous friend of the Kremlin, as well as certain factions of the line of British royalty (Princess Di used to jet around in an 'Oxy' Lear Jet), not to mention the Gore Family (see Elk Hills Scandal, harming USN strategically to this day), not to mention the little west coast communist college he founded, where Obama learned his Lenin.
5) Love Canal, progenitor of the modern enviro disaster, birth parent of the Superfund which contains among the many toxic site cleanup companies spawned in the Canal's wake (the receivers of the proceeds of the superfund), some pretty sketchy (cough mob cough) characters, has undergone a near one-hundred percent reappraisal, remarkable for the contrast with the MSM's initial treatment (IOW, chapter1 fireworks to chapter2 'crickets').
6) Occidental stepped into the Love Canal picture, commited the 'environmental crime' (which was ballyhoo'd to the nines by the NYTimes and the Carter Admin's young socialist feminist EPA spokesperson Carole Browner, late of the Obama EPA, she retired quickly after the 2010 midterms returned subpoena powers to a GOP house oversight committee, and went back to work for Soros), then stepped right back out again, selling Hooker Chemicals and paying the Love Canal fine, which of course, with Oxy as well as BP and all such models, amounts to a wrist-slap for the culprit's stock holders.
7) This was Occidental's initial, and final, entry into the downstream chemical business --a 'one-off'.
8) There's tons and tons more stories, but already my day is ruint just for remembering this sketch of just the one, so you'll gotta search fo' yo'sef until i recovers me equal Librium.