We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Taking a break from preparations for Simchat Torah - which closes the harvest/New Year festival season...
First verse is "for the choirmaster, on the gitit, a song of David". Gitit is a kettledrum, mandolin, or other instrument with a large resonant chamber (Gat=wine vat or carboy).
1. "Majestic" has a connotation of kingship, the original word just means super/great - and is used in modern Hebrew slang for "awesome/super/great".
Second strophe is:
THAT you gave/placed your glory upon the heavens.
2. The enemy is not just silenced, but utterly ceases. The word used is related to the word Sabbath - which means rest in the sense of cessation of work. In modern Hebrew the same root is used when unions strike.
4.The psalmist uses a pair of words that go together in lots of contexts - down to the Jewish prayer book.
What is man that you "remember/mention" him -
A human that you "recall/instruct" him.
These 2 words were frequent in our recent High Holiday liturgy, as they express uniquely Jewish approaches to time and destiny.
The first root ZHR goes in several directions:
- "intellectual" remembering
- mentioning, speaking
- maleness - men as transmitters of wisdom and counsel.
The modern Hebrew word for "secretary" comes from this root - one who records and reminds.
The second root PKD also goes in several directions:
- "holistic" remembering (as in "and God remembered Sarah")
- task or role, which leads to:
- command, appoint, instruct
We use ZHR when we ask God to recall previous historical covenants, or to see our present suffering.
We use PKD to ask Him to recall/clarify our essential task in life, and excuse/correct your errors in the context of the potential He gave us, our destined part in creation - how He conceived us originally.