We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
I'd doubt this was asper. Asper tends to infect the lungs and airsacs, although it can attack other organs like the liver. Aspergillus, the fungus, is always in the environment, in higher concentrations in things like moldy straw and moldy grain (like here), and in less concentrations in areas like arctic terrain.
Even in very high concentrations I have never heard of asper causing problems when ingested. Much more likely is that whatever fungus was growing in the grain released mycotoxins, and that was the cause of the sudden death of so many birds.
Thanks for posting the new, though!