We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
Our Recent Essays Behind the Front Page
Wednesday, October 20. 2010
America needs more rich, not fewer
It's a screwy election there.
Display comments as (Linear | Threaded)
Harsanyi is not as smart as he thinks he is. In fact, his type leads to the things he abhors.
Regarding Code Pink and Congresscritters, there was an interesting amount of information exchanged on the Professor Bainbridge website last year when
BlueTexan posted the following:
Code Pink? Funny..Please post quotes by 5 elected Democratic members of the Senate or House praising or defending Code Pin. Or the Weathermen, for that matter.
Here is a summation of what commenters dug up on Congresscritters and Code Pink.
Blue Texan: the count is up to 7 current and 2 former Congresspeople.
Bereaved US Families Share Iraqis Agonies of War ( Islamonline)(Jan 4,2005)
“By Adam Wild Aba, IOL Correspondent
WASHINGTON, January 4 (IslamOnline.net) – With pictures of their smiling marine sons in their wallets and memories about the good old days always vivid, bereaved US families wrapped up last week a visit to Iraq in protest at the American occupation and in solidarity with thousands of Iraqis displaced by the US monster firepower.
Californian Rosa Suarez del Solar and her Husband Fernando, whose marine son died in Iraq in March last year, led the grief-stricken families, anti-war activists and families of 9/11 victims in their soul-searching tour, which kicked off on December 26.
And they were unified by a common ground: A strong determination to expose the US administration of George W. Bush and its misleading everything is going OK clichés to the entire world.
“We lost our son to an illegal war that is now destroying the lives of thousands of Iraqi children,” Fernando said. “We, as parents, must say ‘Stop the killing, comfort the children.'”
In addition to Rosa and Fernando, the delegation also includes Jeffrey Ritterman, of Physicians for Social Responsibility, Jodie Evans, co-founder of CodePink: Women for Peace, Medea Benjamin, co-founder of Global Exchange and CodePink, and Hany Khalil, a national organizer for the group United for Peace and Justice.
The organizations sponsoring their tour are CodePink, Project Guerrero Azteca for peace, Global Exchange, the Middle East Children's Alliance, Physicians for Social Responsibility, Peace Action, United for Peace and Justice, and Voices in the Wilderness.
They secured diplomatic courtesy letters from US Senators Barbara Boxer of California and Raul Grijalva of Arizona and Congressmen Dennis Kucinich of Ohio and Henry Waxman of California.
Fernando said had it not been for the help of the two congressmen, their tour would have not seen the light due to obstacles laid by the Pentagon.”
Let’s sum up
1)Henry Waxman : diplomatic courtesy letter(s) which was(were) indispensible for anti-war tour which had CodePink as one of co-sponsors.
2)Senator Barbara Boxer : diplomatic courtesy letter(s) which was(were) indispensible for anti-war tour which had CodePink as one of co-sponsors..
3) Dennis Kucinich: diplomatic courtesy letter(s) which was(were) indispensible for anti-war tour which had CodePink as one of co-sponsors. Spoke at CodePink sponsored event.
4) Barbara Lee: Spoke at CodePink sponsored event. CodePink indicated that Congresswoman Lee followed CodePink agenda. Contributed essay in book published by CodePink, Stop the Next War Now.
5) John Murtha: accepted “award” from CodePink and posed for photo.
6) Nancy Pelosi in video talks about anti-war protestors: “So I think all of you who have spoken out for your courage, your point of view. All of it. Your advocacy is very American and very important.” While we cannot tell from the video if she was referring to protesters who included CodePink, there is a scene later on where there is a group of anti-war protesters around the podium, with the tell-tale pink color quote visible. Pelosi says “hello” to the protestors. A moderator says, “This is the way we know we’re in San Francisco.” Pelosi’s reply: “And we love it.” It stands to reason that her previous statement also referred to CodePink.
7) Lynn Woolsey. Spoke at Code-Pink sponsored event. Contributed essay in book published by CodePink, Stop the Next War Now.
8) Former Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney. Contributed essay in book published by CodePink, Stop the Next War Now.
9) Former Congresswoman Patricia Schroeder. Contributed essay in book published by CodePink, Stop the Next War Now.
How do you post links here? The standard method doesn't work here.
In the summation, I missed Arizona Congressman Raul Grijalva , who along with Boxer and Waxman, had helped secure diplomatic courtesy letters for Code Pink.
You can go to the link and scroll back for more details.
We can add Charles Rangel to the list.
Mr. RANGEL. Mr. Speaker, I rise to enter into the Record a press
release and letter to Members of Congress from Troops Home Fast, a new
initiative of the peace organization CODEPINK whose members are holding
a hunger strike to highlight their call to bring U.S. troops home from
Iraq. I pay tribute to the members of CODEPINK who are participating in
the Troops Home Fast and praise their creative efforts to assist our
troops in Iraq and those wounded at Walter Reed Hospital by many
campaigns protesting the continuing occupation of Iraq. One of their
peace actions is a Friday night vigil at Walter Reed Hospital to
protest the war and thus prevent further casualties. Today I especially
want to bring attention to their latest campaign taking place here in
the District of Columbia, around the country and around the world--the
Troops Home Fast.
That would make 9 current Congresscritters and two former Congresscritters who aligned themselves with Code Pink.
Look into H.R. 4646 -- just another sneaky tax courtesy of the Dems.