We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
I have advised them several times over the past years to do something very simple: put every American citizen on Medicare, and raise the Medicare tax as needed to cover the costs (with no employer contribution, however - purely from the income-producer. The Medicare FICA tax is currently 2.9% on all income: all they'd have to do would be to double it or at most triple it, I imagine, since the older folks who cost most of the money are already on Medicare. Thus if you make $50,000 you would pay around $4000, and double that for $100,000).
Was my suggestion too simple?
Mind you, it is not what I would like to see done, because it would put an instant government stranglehold on our medical care, medical research, the drug and biotech industries, etc - not to mention threatening the survival of Docs and hospitals. And not to mention politicizing medicine.
But since the Left loves to control things centrally, I have no idea why they didn't do something so obvious and easy.
Sorry Bird Dog. Your Medicare magic wand doesn’t work. See this 2007 analysis from a relatively neutral source, National Center for Public Policy Research http://www.nationalcenter.org/NPA561.html . Even using Sen. Ted Kennedy’s overoptimistic numbers, putting all on Medicare would need a payroll tax of 11.9%, compared to the current 3.2%, an almost fourfold increase. That doesn’t include the several more percent to keep Medicare out of the current bankruptcy. Nor does it include the increased usage by those currently uninsured or underinsured, adding several more percent. Nor does it include the increased benefits that added groups will politically demand, and get. Nor does it adjust for the higher co-pays and deductibles in Medicare than in typical private health plans, which would lead to demands for lower out-of-pocket costs, likely obtainable from our malleable legislators. And, even by Sen. Kennedy’s unbelievable numbers, the pace of overall national health costs (Medicare inflation being near private plan inflation, perhaps higher if one includes the Medicare costs hidden in other parts of the budget or rationing-type costs imposed on recipients) would only be slowed for a few years, and then would skyrocket. -- Either we have rationing imposed by bureaucrats, hitting the most vulnerable and powerless the hardest, or we have what the cumulation of individuals have decided a wealthy nation can afford for top quality and access, and advancement. Today's poll shows the 85% who are insured are well satisfied with the status quo. Other analyses show that only about a quarter of the other 15% are truly in need and deserving some aid, while the others can afford but don't pay premiums, are young and reckless, or illegal immigrants. All of the Dem remedies, and yours, throw out the baby with the diswater, to serve less than 5% of citizens.
As said in the South, that dog doesn't hunt. The Democrats have gone through the sales pitches of Medicare For All (rationing for all, with lesser quality providers due to underpayments), of Cost Reductions (that are non-existent, and increase costs), of Helping the Needy Uninsured (by adding twenty times that number to the government dole and control), the Evil Insurance Companies (with whom the overwhelming majority are satisfied), to Trust Us (as narrated by Nancy Pelosi, scaring the children and adults). There's no slogan that can sell a dead horse, or proven poisonous medicine.
Of course you may. Anything I say is eminently quotable (Ha!), in either my Brooklyn accent or a Texan one.
You might also review the more extended analysis and data I presented in an earlier post. http://maggiesfarm.anotherdotcom.com/archives/10836-Top-Ten-Reasons-For-ObamaCare-Are-Based-On-False-Information.html
A Bronx Cheer to Washington's Democrats might also be appropriate.