We are a commune of inquiring, skeptical, politically centrist, capitalist, anglophile, traditionalist New England Yankee humans, humanoids, and animals with many interests beyond and above politics. Each of us has had a high-school education (or GED), but all had ADD so didn't pay attention very well, especially the dogs. Each one of us does "try my best to be just like I am," and none of us enjoys working for others, including for Maggie, from whom we receive neither a nickel nor a dime. Freedom from nags, cranks, government, do-gooders, control-freaks and idiots is all that we ask for.
The vast majority of people who have died from coronavirus had underlying conditions, according to the CDC. New York City's numbers reflect that as well. Of the 790 people who have died from COVID-19 in New York City, all but 13 had underlying conditions. The city department of health's definition of "underlying conditions" includes diabetes, lung disease, cancer, immunodeficiency, heart disease, hypertension, asthma, kidney disease, and GI/liver disease.
A lot of people have hypertension, diabetes, or asthma who don't think they should be regarded as being at death's door with only C19 to push them through. I wonder how flexible the term is going to become.
Assistant Village Idiot
I agree. My gut feeling is this excuse is put out there to soften the blow of this pandemic and to take some of the blame from everyone involved. There is almost no one over the age of 50 or so that does not have underlying health issues. They may not know it but they likely still do have issues. I have numerous relatives who lived into their 90's and they all had health issues long before they turned 60 years old. And yet they lived long and happy lives.
I have wondered as well if it includes those with ]well-controlled comorbidities like hypertension and type II diabetes though I believe I have read that both of those raise inflammation and reduce immune response even if controlled.
And what will you call "proven?" That sounds like you could redefine any death as non-C19. In fact, it sounds like you already are.
Assistant Village Idiot
Exactly, only 12% of the deaths in Italy are directly from CV. The other 88% had from 1-3 other serious medical conditions that could very likely have been the cause of death. No one knows so they mark them all down under the “death with CV” column which makes everyone believe they were killed by it which is certainly not true.
So can I take the absolute disgusting view of this virus? It will lower Medicare costs long term as many long term ill patients who need much more than average treatment in terms of costs will not survive. I try to look at impacts and costs, in all terms not just in terms of death.
Maybe some of that money could then be used for better uses, but who am I kidding. Government savings means time to spend it on something else that is worthless and ask for more money for the things that will actually make it better.
Granted until Americans start to take better care of themselves, eat better and exercise there will be a new batch of at risk patients to take their place soon enough.